Monday, August 29, 2011

Departures

Yesterday Raindancer, an intricate member of Comedy Central left for Portland, ME to catch a flight back home. Comedy Central misses her terribly but will have to keep moving towards Katahdin.

After a whole day thinking about it I have come to the conclusion that the biggest thing the trail has thought me is how to say goodbye. I have met wonderful people on the trail that have made me want to hug them after 10 minutes of talking to them. On the trail everybody has a different pace, some people do 10 miles a day every day, others do 25 miles a day every day, and even others do 30 miles every other day. These differences make it so that you hang out with some people for a day and you move on never to see them again, or you stay with the people you like and adjust your mileage accordingly.

Comedy Central was formed because we all liked each other. The first week that we all hung out I cried every single night from laughing too hard. It did not make sense for me to move on alone after finding such good chemistry. Yesterday I had to say goodbye to one member of the family, and at the end of this part of my trip I will have to say goodbye to the whole family. It will be terribly sad but life is like that, I have to move on. I will find friends again, and I will keep these friends for the rest of my life.

I'm not saying that goodbyes don't weigh less on my soul, I'm saying that they are easier because I learned that there is friendship material everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment