Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Katahdin

3 days after arriving in Monson, MA Comedy Central was back together. I was preparing myself to say goodbye to my friends because I did not have enough time to go into the 100 Mile Wilderness. My plan was to go to Katahdin via a hitch or two and do it by myself so that I can catch my plane to San Diego.

The weather had a different idea of what I was to do; starting with Irene there had been so much water that had been dumped on Maine that some of the river fords were very dangerous. Because we didn't want to die Pink Floyd came up with a genius idea; a road walk.

We walked from Monson, Ma to Baxter State Park. I was pumped that we would be able to summit Katahdin together, but had no idea how rough a 66 mile road walk would be. At the end of 2 1/2 days we arrived with destroyed knees and feet. Turns out walking on hard pavement for a long time can hurt you pretty badly. At one point all four of us were on pain killers because that was the only way we could keep walking.

At Baxter Park we only had 10 miles to the bottom of the northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail; Katahdin. It was exciting getting to shelter that night because tomorrow the adventure would come to an end.

We woke up to freezing temperatures the next morning, but there was a lady and her friend doing trail magic for Thru-Hikers so it got our spirits up. The climb was decently challenging, but after walking for months it was easily overcome.

Handstand and I decided that we should hike the last mile in our underwear even though the top of the mountain was freezing. The top was filled with emotions but I was so happy to be there.

This has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. Everything about the trail has made me a better person.

Currently I'm in San Diego spending all of my niece's waking time with her. I will be here for the next 3 weeks and will put up pictures, videos and more post analysis of my adventure.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Larb! Glad to hear you finished and are all safe! Let's be facebook friends, please :) Valerie Baish (I'm the only one)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mlarben, You are an amazing, beautiful, powerful, inspiring, hilarious, intentional, perfect human being. I am so delighted for your soaring spirit, and I look forward to hearing your voice in real (rather than voicemail) time! With endless love, Katie

    ReplyDelete