I remember a long time ago me and a friend were talking about Thai dishes and he says one of the funniest words in existence: LARB.
I almost spit-took and laughed for quite a while. That word is so ridiculous sounding and sounds almost like lard, but better. We went out that day and bought a LARD, it tasted horrible.
One of the big stressers for me has been the topic of trail names. On the AT fellow hikers introduce themselves and call you by your trail name. But since all of these thru-hikers started at least two months ago they all had one. Here I come, in the middle of the trail and I don't even have a trail name. VERY STRESSFUL.
Two days ago I was at the Ironmaster's Hostel in Gardners, PA. I was sharing a room with the Booty Cluuuub, the thru-hikers that I have been hiking with for the past 4 days, their trail-names are Phlegm, Gravity, Pixel and Shazam. We were in the dining room eating and playing Scrabble.
The subject of funny words came up and I said "one of the funniest words that I know is LARB. I could say it all day; LARB LARB LARB LARB" While I was shaking my head back and forth and yelling LARB, Phlegm points at me and says "TRAIL NAME!!"
And thus LARB is born. I always thought my trail-name was going to me something bad ass, like Gravity or Lightning. But who am I kidding, LARB is pretty much the perfect name for me.
So now when somebody asks me for my name I say LARB. It's pretty weird.
I dig it.
ReplyDeleteDid you get Pixel's real name? I got a photo of her and Shazam finishing on Katahdin and I'd like to send it to them.
ReplyDelete