Thursday, July 7, 2011

Zero

Yesterday was 2 weeks since I started hiking in West Virginia. I have covered about 200 miles since, and finished yesterday by almost hiking a marathon, 23.7 miles.

To celebrate I'm doing zero miles on the Appalachian Trail today. I'm eating, interneting and shopping, then I'm slepping for a long time.

In the last few days I have been feeling exhausted and knew that I needed a day like this. I went from feeling off yesterday to feeling lots better already.

It has been interesting to see how excited at the new scenery and change of pace I was, and how quickly that has changed to being the day to day norm. Now I'm enjoying the hike differently then I first did. The biggest challenge is just to stay aware not just of all of your thoughs but also all of the surroundings and people. Fully being present, it's very difficult.

Another thing I have noticed is how much I have been missing the group of people that I fell in synch with in my first week. Them getting off the trail for a couple of days has been a blessing and a curse. Blessing; I'm forced to meet lots of new people, curse; I'm not sure there is going to be anybody to hang out at the shelters at nights.

All in all I'm enjoying my zero and am looking forward to 980 miles that I have left to hike! Woop!

No comments:

Post a Comment