Thursday, July 7, 2011

Lyme

Some of you have asked me what I was most afraid of on the trail. I always said ticks, since they carry Lyme's disease and they are as big as a dot on this here i.

Welp my worst fear has come and I have been bitten by a tick. A few days ago I noticed a bulls eye on my left calf. I showed it off to other hikers and they all said "Doctor, NOW!" I decided to hike 17 miles to the next shelter and then get a shuttle out to the urgent care.

At the urgent care I got treated extremelly well. They gave me as much candy as I could carry and two cokes for the trail. The doctor was super awesome, gave me 20 anti-biotic pills to take over 10 days and told me to stay away from lots of direct sunlight. He also said that he gets bitten once a year since he does so much outside work, and goes through the same process. Basically; NO BIG DEAL.

So my worst fear is now with me and I'm feeling just fine!

Here's me chilling with the doc:

1 comment:

  1. Ooh... I hate ticks and Lyme disease scares the crap out of me. I'm glad you faced your fear (and mine) and found it was not that bad.

    ReplyDelete